Monday, July 5, 2010

Will Rogers - the Jon Stewart of the 20's and 30's

Thanks to Tim over at Scared Stiff for this idea.

Will Rogers was a progressive heroe of his time. He was an American cowboy, comedian, humorist, social commentator, vaudeville performer and actor and one of the best-known celebrities in the 1920s and 1930s. He was the leading political wit of the Progressive Era, and was the top-paid movie star in Hollywood at the time. Rogers died in 1935 with aviator Wiley Post, when their small airplane crashed near Barrow, Alaska Territory.

Widely quoted, here are a couple of my favorites:

"I am not a member of an organized political party. I am a Democrat."

"I never met a man I didn't like"

"Democrats never agree on anything, that's why they're Democrats. If they agreed with each other, they would be Republicans."

And the present day Republican mantra:

"If stupidity got us in this mess, why can't it get us out?" Vote GOP in 2012

Born in the Oklahoma Territory in 1879, he taught himself how to rope and he was the best.

1 comment:

  1. I think he was an a-hole. "Never met a man I didn't like." What a load.

    ReplyDelete